That’s what the feeling of unrest is. But the choice is yours. So which one do you choose … the driving force or the dangerous trap?
As an executive coach, over the decades I've seen many successful entrepreneurs achieve their goals … and sometimes achieve their goals at a level they never dreamed of. But then … something happens. They begin to experience a feeling of unrest, a sense that something isn't quite right. This feeling can be powerful, driving entrepreneurs to achieve their goals and push themselves to new heights. However, it can also be dangerous if left unchecked.
Ignoring the feeling of unrest can lead to several negative consequences. Here are some of the dangers of not dealing with this feeling:
Burnout: The feeling of unrest can be a sign that you're pushing yourself too hard, working long hours, and neglecting self-care. If you continue down this path, you may experience burnout, which can take a significant toll on your mental and physical health, to say nothing about its impact on your business.
Poor decision-making: The feeling of unrest can cause you to make decisions impulsively or without considering all the facts. This poor decision-making can result in costly mistakes that can harm your business … harm the business may or may not be able to recover from.
Lack of focus: If you're feeling restless, it can be challenging to stay focused on your goals and objectives. You may find yourself jumping from one idea to another or struggling to stay motivated to complete important tasks.
Strained relationships: The feeling of unrest can also affect your personal relationships, as you may become irritable, impatient, or distant from loved ones. No one wants to be around a grouch. So your relationships become more strained and additional stress is created in your life.
Missed opportunities: If you're not dealing with the feeling of unrest, you may miss out on valuable opportunities for growth and success. By ignoring your inner voice, you may fail to recognize new directions … new opportunities or … necessary risks … all of which may be necessary to achieve both your life and business goals.
Dealing with the feeling of unrest is essential to avoiding these dangers. Here are some tips for managing this feeling effectively:
1. Identify the root cause: To deal with the feeling of unrest, you need to understand its root cause.
Ask yourself what's causing this feeling and what's missing in your life or business that's creating this sense of unease.
This kind of self-introspection can be difficult because it is so easy for us to be caught up in our own denial and just not see the reality … the truth about ourselves, others, the situations we are in, etc. That is why it is best to have someone you trust – someone you are willing to be transparent with and who is willing to be truthful with you – walk with you as you dig to find the root cause.
2. Set realistic goals: Setting realistic goals can help you regain a sense of control and focus. Break your goals down into achievable steps and celebrate your progress along the way.
A way way to look at goals is through the acronym SMART.
1. S – Specific 2. M – Measurable 3. A – Achievable 4. R – Realistic 5. T - Timely
3. Prioritize self-care: Self-care is essential for managing the feeling of unrest. Make time for activities that bring you joy and help you recharge, such as exercise, meditation, or spending time with loved ones.
4. Seek support: As an entrepreneur, it can be easy to feel isolated and alone. Who do you talk to about this sense of unrest? Not your staff – who just might freak out if the “boss” is struggling. Not your family – who might go into “worry” mode. Not your fellow business owners – for in most business communities this type of conversation does not occur. So, in my opinion, we need to seek out support from disinterested parties (mentors, coaches, and/or select business owners) … people who believe in you and your vision.
5. Embrace uncertainty: Uncertainty is a fact of life for entrepreneurs. Rather than resisting it, embrace it and use it as an opportunity to learn and grow. Remember that this feeling of unrest is a signal that something is not the way you want it to be. Use that signal as a challenge … a challenge to look at this time as an opportunity to develop a new mindset, a new set of skills, etc. and become a better person – better entrepreneur.
To wrap up this discussion, remember, the feeling of unrest is a powerful emotion that can be both a driving force for success and a dangerous trap if left unchecked. By identifying its root cause, setting realistic goals, prioritizing self-care, seeking support, and embracing uncertainty, entrepreneurs can manage this feeling effectively and move their lives and businesses to the next level while avoiding the negative consequences of ignoring it.
As an executive coach, I'm here to support you on your journey and help you move to the next level – from the ordinary to the extraordinary personally and professionally – while weaving legacy into your life and business.